Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MPC Week: "Frankenstein Mobster"

Modern Pulp Comics

Welcome to Monstro City, multi-etnic home of humans and.. monsters! Yep, werewolves, vampires, and other beautiful "people" deals with mobsters and corrupt police.
The young detective Terri has her hands full when she arrives to the city after the father has been killed. But is he really dead? I mean, this is the kinda place where zombies are "normal" and other weird things happen...

Frankenstein Mobster
Mark Wheatley, creator of the series, wonderfully illustrate the pages with a nice pulpish/noir feel to the look and feel. I don't remember if I read it somewhere or if it was just a thought, but the Frankenstein Mobster character seems inspired by our very own Jim Steranko: similiar haircut and similiar outfit with turtleneck.

Above is my tribute to the character (which I did back in the days - gotta go to re-read those books again ;)) more inspired by the classic Frankenstein monster, which you can see below in another tribute of mine to the classic cult movie.

Cheers,
Francesco

Frankenstein


"Modern Pulp Comics" © 2008 Francesco Francavilla

4 comments:

Greg said...

You know, I've never read Frankenstein Mobster and it seems to be right up my alley. the Frankenstein monster is my favourite "monster", if you really want to call him that, and I love seeing all sorts of interpretations of the archetype. A very cool set of pics though, I think you captured Doctor Frankenstein very well, you captured the sense of reckless obsession that the Universal movie managed to portray so well. Great work.

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Greg :)
Yeah, I feel definitely at home when we get to the Universal horrors: just love those movies and stories :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Ilia said...

damn....the black and white piece is awesome. tons of mood and it wreaks of atmosphere. these 2 pieces are some of your best work posted in Pulp Sunday.

what did you to to the header in the news section? bring the girl back.

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Ilia :D I still love that FrankenMobster piece too, even if it is 3 or 4 years old :)
Ursula is still the header of the news, but for the past years (2006-2007). I am planning to change the header for each new year.

Cheers,
Francesco