Sunday, September 7, 2008

MPC Week: "Sin City"

Modern Pulp Comics
Hello Pulp Friends!

It has been already 3 weeks that the Archive.org has removed the OTR episodes of the Shadow from their website. I am not sure what is the reason (anyone?) but while I think of other OTR shows to use in here, let's have a little gallery of modern Pulp Comics that I read and I think you should too (if you like good pulp).
For all this week (also to make up from my missing Sunday last week, when I was attending Dragon*Con and enjoying the company of legend Bernie Wrightson), every day I will be introducing a comicbook title that has deep roots in the Pulp genre. Some might be already well known to you all (like today's ;)), some other might be less known (like it already happened with Blacksad), but what it counts, at the end of the day, is that you enjoy the post and maybe know something new about these titles.
And feel free to add your comments and feedback on the title spotlighted.

Sin City - Marv
Let's start with Sin City by Frank Miller. Well... if you know nothing about it, then you haven't been around a lot in the last 20years ;)
Most of the books were available again thanks to the recent movie. A new movie is in production, I heard, so expect another wave of reprints of our fav Sin City and all its beautiful people :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Sin City - Hartigan



"Modern Pulp Comics" © 2008 Francesco Francavilla

4 comments:

Ilia said...

those are great sin city drawings. you captured the actors from the films and the miller mood from the comics.

very nic.

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Ilia :D

I have a couple more tributes to Sin City and a "all-in-one-panel" little tale featuring Marv which I am going to post here toward the end of the week :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Honolulu Dogfight said...

This is a great post Francesco. I got a copy of Somnambulo way back in the nineties and loved it. Glad to see it's still around.
Great work man, I really dig Pulp Sunday.
-George

Francesco Francavilla said...

GEORGE!
Great to see you here, my friend :)
I think Navarro publishes Sonanmbulo randomly, every few years, but it's good to see it going :)
Thanks for the kind words, really appreciated :)

Cheers,
Francesco